Wednesday 9 March 2011

Man of Numbers by Alison Hall

Hi! Alison here again. This time I decided to have a play with my alcohol inks & a papier mache square frame.


First of all, I painted a base coat of gesso all over the frame, then painted over that with Expresso Acrylic Dabber. When that was dry, I glued some some numbers, which were diecut, using the Sissix Vintage Market Alpha die, around the frame. Then I used strips of sticky back aluminium foil to cover the frame. I used a paper stump to burnish down the foil, & around the numbers.
Next I added a good drop of alcohol inks, pesto, oregano, red pepper & terra cotta to some felt on an applicator, then dabbed this all over the foil, until I had the effect I liked. I used a sanding tool to remove most of the ink from the numbers, to highlight them. Don't worry if you remove a little ink from around the numbers, as this adds to the distressed look of the frame.
I stamped the collaged man twice on a piece of green paper from the Retro Grunge Paper Stack. I cut around one image to fit it inside the recess of the frame, then spritzed this with Kiwi Perfect Pearls Mist. I cut around the man's head & shoulders, then added this to the dried, spritzed image using foam squares. I glued the image inside the frame, then used glossy accents to add a piece of string around it.
Finally, I stamped the collaged man again, onto some orange paper from the stack, cut a small piece that had numbers on it, then rolled it up, & inserted it into one of Tim's new glass vials. I added a small game spinner with some string, then glued the little vial inside the frame, using some matt medium.
Thanks for looking!
Alison xx

10 comments:

Netty said...

Totally terrific, Annette x

Helen said...

I agree, this is wonderful!

Sid said...

Fab frame !!

Artyjen said...

Nice bit of grunge Alison ;)
Love the inky frame
xoxo Sioux

Maggie said...

Great piece!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE this. xx

Minxy said...

A heavenly piece of inkyness :D

Helen Pigott said...

Lovely, I love this stamp it's on my workdesk at the moment!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great frame, luv the idea!

Chris Arlington said...

Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!