Saturday 14 January 2012

Feeling Blue...?

Good Morning to both you and the weekend...
and hopefully a little off-duty time for some and oodles of crafty dabblings too! Sarah here with my second make of the month. Today I'm feeling rather blue and girly but all in a good painty, inky way. I make no secret of being an ATC fan, especially when they're funky and chunky!
I cut a chunk of wood from an old beam that was lurking in the shed. It's the three dimensional model of your standard ATC (2½ x 3½ inches, but 1½ inches deep). I started with a couple of coats of paint with my Cloudy Blue Dabber and then cut a cardboard frame for the front which I swiped with Snow Cap before stamping some yummy Polka Dots.

I lined the frame with Mr.Tim Ball Chain and inked up some Grungeboard Letters with pigment ink. I chose the word 'Fleur', because somehow French sounds so much nicer!
I painted some Grungepaper in Snowcap and then stamped the really great flowers and leaves from Flower Power and Flower Blooms.

I love cutting weeny things out so I had a ball with those leaves! Plus it means you can create more movement and shape with them.

I layered up the flowers, added a brass stud and made a triple one for the top finishing off with an old ceramic drawer knob!
On the back, more yummy dots, leaves and three pretty mini flowers. Just too cute! I don't often say cute, but these just are! I played around with the words from Flower Blooms by stamping them onto painted card and splitting them up. Oooh, so many places to play with...


I think chunky ATCs make great gifts because you can put so much in to them but they're just the right size too... They'll happily perch on a shelf or in a cabinet.  

Are you stamper or cardmaker wanting to venture into mixed media but feeling a bit daunted by the thought? Well, this could be the perfect project to help you make that step, whilst still taking all your other skills along.

On the sides, I kept things fairly simple but still wanted to add a little extra detail with some seam binding, vintage buttons and another flower. I don't mind seeing the lumps, bumps and cracks in the wood - all part of the natural look!  On this side some more wordplay and chain. Finally, (fanfare) the whole ATC is mounted on four metal corner thingies also painted blue!
So, that's all folks, as they say. Hope you like it and will maybe give it a go yourself. Thanks for looking and Happy Weekending! Sarah.

10 comments:

Jacqueline said...

THAT is fantastic!! What a clever idea and a great way to use up bits and pieces just lying around!

Thanks for sharing.

Jackie x

Kirsten Alicia said...

Wow, my gob is well & truly smacked. That is completely & utterly GORGEOUS.

Joanne said...

Gosh! 'tis amazing.
x

Maria said...

I LOVE this!!! It's absolutely fantastic and I will definitely have a go! Thank you! x

craftytrog said...

All totally fabulous Sarah! Love how you used the ball chain for framing! xox

Pendra said...

This is so cool, very creative!!!

okienurse said...

I love the funky chunky ATC! Thanks for sharing such an awesome idea! Love blue too!
Vickie

Kat said...

Love your chunky ATC,
& I love the fact that it's quite modern & blue & white, not vintage,
I have never made one of these, but I may just have to now, after seeing your's.
fab stuff, Kat x.

Artyjen said...

Love the dimension of this and the added bits and bobs ;)
xoxo Sioux

Emma Williams said...

This is stunning...gorgeous colours and beautiful work. Absolutely fab!!!
Emma xxx