Monday 28 May 2012

Lovely Ladies by Jennie Atkinson

Well here we are at the end of May and my last project.  Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments both here and on my own blog - you have all been so wonderfully supportive and encouraging and I have really appreciated it.
Some of you will know that I love making mini books and as I also love making collage style ATCS I was sure that the wonderful Gibson Girls plate would make a great vintage style accordian book. This is quite a long post so you may want to grab a cuppa before reading it all!

To create my series of ATCs I gathered my supplies:


Stamps:
Gibson Girls Plate
Time Plate
Calligraphy Plate
Hold Fast to Your Dreams Sentiment
Distress Inks:  Broken China and Vintage Photo
Archival Ink:  Coffee and Black
Glossy Card ATCs


I made my ATC backgrounds using the Tim Holtz Wrinkle Free Distress technique rubbing the two distress inks onto my craft sheet, misting them with water and then pressing the ATCs into the watery ink until I was happy with the look.  I love the way the glossy card picks up the ink, quite differently to smooth card.  Blending some Vintage Photo around the edges just finishes them off.
Next I made some text paper, stamping the Calligraphy Plate on a sheet of A4 white cardstock with Coffee Arcival ink.  I cut out four rectangles and blended Vintage Photo around the edges and dragged a gold calligraphy pen around the edges to create a border and give a little depth when stuck down.  I tore a couple of small pieces and again blended Vintage Photo around the edges.  The sentiment was stamped onto cream cardstock and cut up into various pieces to fit across the five ATCs and then mounted on to Kraft cardstock.
Then the wonderful ladies!  I stamped them on cream cardstock with Black Archival Ink and cut them out.  I then painted the hair and dresses with watery Vintage Photo, building up the layers until I was happy with the colours.
Then making sure I sought out supplies in the same colour palette I made my six ATCs.  I used the large clock and cogs from the Time Plate, punched a butterfly, and from my stash added some Tim Holtz tags, tape measure ribbon, magic mesh and pearl gems.  I made sure the layers were quite flat so that they would allow the book to close.
So then to the book - inspired by by friend Penny Bennington (A Penny for Your Thoughts).  I used some heavy watercolour paper which I bought from my local artshop and tore a strip 21" long and 4" wide (this is the paper they keep in the large drawers in art shops - so don't be afraid to ask!). 
I scored it from the right hand side at 4" intervals to make six panels and a 1/2" spine.  The cover is embossed using a Cuttlebug embossing folder and to get the lovely vintage look I painted the whole book, both sides, with cold tea.
Making some slots in the card I threaded around 28" seam binding ribbon (pre-dyed with Vintage Photo).   I finished the cover with another small piece of my torn text paper and a handmade flower using the Power Flower stamps and Vintage Photo Distress Ink (details are HERE on my blog).

You can click the link HERE where Penny has a detailed tutorial on how to make the book. 
I hope this project will inspire you to have a go at making a mini-book - they really are great fun to make and a great way to showcase your favourite ATCs or photographs and make lovely presents for family and friends.  ATCs also make wonderful toppers for cards and scrapbook pages and are just great fun to make.


I have had a really fantastic time sharing these projects with you and using a selection of Jennie's wonderful stamps.  My thanks to Jennie and Emma for inviting me to be here with you this month and thanks to Emma for all her help and guidance.  And and big thank you to all of you for looking at my projects and taking the time to write such lovely comments.


Best wishes and happy crafting!
Jennie x

23 comments:

Artyjen said...

That is such a super project....love the whole look of it....it's been fun to have you sharing your creations here ;)
xoxo Sioux

KatzElbows said...

Wow. This is totally beautiful. The overall effect is stunning, and all the little details are great to look at.

Thank you.

Jacqueline said...

THAT is such a stunning project! Absolutely beautiful and very elegant.

Thanks for sharing.

Jackie x

Inkypinkycraft said...

A really beautiful piece, love the soft colours! Lovely! Hugs trace x

Jenny Marples said...

Love the backgrounds, love the images, love the embossing, love the detail (getting the idea?!:) This is a stunning piece of work. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs, Buttons x

May said...

Beautiful creation.. Goegeous soft colours and the stamping is fab.. Simply Stunning! Hugs May x x x

Ginger said...

So very pretty, and great stamping. C x

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...amazing work Jennie & what a wonderful note to end your month as Guest Designer on...loVe your inter-linked theme of ATC's in this gorgeous little accordian book, a really beautiful inspiring piece, thank you...Mel :)

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Fabulous project..it has been a pleasure having you on the team :))
xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning project, so, so pretty and I love what you did with the stamps, great little book!

Netty said...

Beautiful book Jenny and loving those wonderful stamps. x

Janny Jager said...

This is a beautiful book.
Great stamping and nice colors.

Greetings Janny

Redanne said...

This project is stunning and a would be a wonderful way to keep ATC's that were too nice to give away! Beautiful, beautiful mini book. x

Kat said...

stunning, amazing, beautiful,
love this project,
well done you,
Kat x

Zuzu's Blog said...

This is gorgeous Jennie... what a fab high to go out on....

Dragon said...

OOO this isa lovely one... I LOVE that full frontal image!!! what a fab book
Frankie
xx

Sid said...

Fantastic mini-book project !!

Elaine said...

Fab project, I do feel inspired. Thanks for sharing. Elaine

craftytrog said...

Such a beautiful project to end on Jennie...it's been lovely having you join us here this month xox

Anonymous said...

Very, very beautful.

Marjie Kemper said...

Stunning! Love the way you've brought them all together in such a sweet mini.

Mickie said...

Truly a beautiful project Jennie. more, please

Mickie x

Emma Williams said...

Fabulous artwork and gorgeous project!!
It's been an absolute pleasure to work alongside you and have you as our Guest Designer.

Love Emma xx