Tuesday 19 June 2012

Beside The Seaside by Alison

Hello Stampers! I've just returned from a wonderful week's holiday on the Greek island of Corfu, & while I was lying on the beach, watching the sun sparkling on the sea, I was inspired to make this canvas.


On a 5 x 5 inch canvas, I used Claudine Hellmuth Studio paints to create my background. I painted in a few waves & birds, then dotted some Glossy Accents on the sea & sprinkled on some glass glitter.

I recently spotted a recipe for fake sand in a magazine, using a couple of teaspoons of clear ultra thick embossing enamel, a little bit of heirloom gold Perfect Pearls, & some Glossy Accents to bind it together. 


I spread the 'sand' onto the bottom of the canvas, then whilst it was still wet, I added some beads & shrink plastic shells. The shell images are from the Beside The Seaside plate, & I stamped them onto cream shrink plastic, before cutting them out & shrinking them with a heat gun.

I also made some shrink plastic beach umbrellas using the image from the Seaside No. 1 plate, then glued them to the 'beach' with Glossy Accents.


I stamped the phrase from the Beside The seaside plate onto cream paper, cut out the words, inked them with vintage photo Distress Ink, then glued them onto the 'sky'.

To finish, I added some blue glass glitter & beads to the top edge of the canvas, & a wooden fish to the 'sea'. 

Thanks for looking,
Alison xox

24 comments:

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

Your canvas is sooo cute ! I love it !

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...beautiful canvas Alison full of seaside cheer...Mel :)

Helen said...

Oh my, Alison - I love your beach scene, and the shells and buttons are a fabulous touch. Bet you wish you were still there....

Sid said...

Love all your textures in this !!

Astrid Maclean said...

What a great textural piece. You can just feel the sunshine shining right through it! Great fun!

Deborah said...

What a wonderful reminder of Corfu, Alison! Especially as this Summer isn't very summery so far :-)

Crafting Queen said...

Super canvas!

Lucy said...

This is great, love the mixed media aspect to it, and all the shrink plastic,

Lucy x

Artyjen said...

Great beach scene...I can feel Corfu calling to me! ;) The sand is fab too.
xoxo Sioux

The Sparkly Fairy said...

I love this! and how lovely to have some sun! Hope you enjoyed your holiday x

Jennie Atkinson said...

A great canvas Alison - I can imagine you sitting on this beach! Glad you had a great holiday and lovely to see you back x

Linda said...

What a glorious reminder of your holiday Alison. I totally dreamed away by looking at your lovely canvas.

Jingle said...

This is great! I love the details and the fabulous texture!

Unknown said...

He he, is that a fish or a whale?! Great piece of art Alison x

Emma Williams said...

This is stunning Alison...so much gorgeous detail!! I just LOVE it!!!
Emma xx

Unknown said...

Very sea side hope you had a lush relaxing holiday lovely mini canvass xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, Alison, this is fab! Those little umbrellas are outstanding... love the whole piece!

Redanne said...

Wonderful canvas, love the colours and all the detail. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. The sand looks fab.

Janny Jager said...

Lovely canvas Alison .
Love all the details .

Greetings Janny

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fabulous canvas, great use of all the elements.

Dragon said...

OOOO it's yummy!!!
Frankie
xx

Sam & Poppy said...

So sweet, just love this Alison :o) x

Steve PP said...

What a great fun canvas! I love it! Have a great day!