Thursday 14 June 2012

Careful..I bite..By Trish Latimer

Hello again!
Firstly, THANK YOU for the lovely comments left on my first post!! I'm glad my first project went down well! So, I've made another painty, quirky odd thing to share.... Here she is..
This time I've used probably my favourite surfaces, canvas. I love the texture of canvas, the fact you can build upon it to create something really 'touchy feely' as well as easy on the eye! This particular 'board' was made by adhering Sticky Backed Canvas (by Claudine Hellmuth, the white version) to chipboard. I love the sticky backed stuff as you can have a base whatever size and shape you fancy, just by covering it with the adhesive canvas. No more being limited to the sizes and shapes of ready made canvas boards or blocks! Its also really easy to die cut as well, and this is our first step......
Die cut a circle and flourish (both Sizzix) from the canvas (I've stuck it to thick card first to give it a bit more stability), and then cut and cover your chipboard with the canvas too.
Time to create the background on your canvas board. I've used Adirondack Paint Dabbers as my paint for this part, in Aqua, Cool Peri and Pool. The white is Claudine Helmuths Blank Canvas . Smear on the four colours, drying each layer before you add more. Mine looked like this.....
Next, lots of stamping! Using the four colours of paint used in the background, stamp Random Dot Background, Grid Background and Harlequin . Also, stamp the circles from the Swirls Splats and Dots plate , and the long single harlequin from the A6 Borders Plate .
Detail printing is next on the list... I've used Raspberry Paint Dabber , and Charcoal Black Claudine Hellmuth Studio paint for this. print lines and tiny circles using junk like store cards and bottle caps, and add in some tiny dot detail too....
To complete the background, also paint, stamp and edge the die cut canvas pieces (the circle also has the top of a Flourish on it, from the Swirls Splats and Dots plate....)
Adhere these to the background. I've used hot glue as it gives a 3D effect, as well as ensuring a good strong bond! The Flourish is placed along the bottom, to give my little girl somewhere to stand, and the circle as an accent in the upper right section of the piece....
I've added a digital image of a little girl, looking suitably perplexed ( Weirdly,I LOVE figures looking perplexed!)
 Again, the hot glue gives her that raised 3D look. The quote is from my stash of cut up old Mills and Boon romance novels! Glued on with gel medium....
And thats it! A painted canvas board, with that quirky randomness I love! Hopefully you like it too...
Until next time....
Love, Trish xxxxxxx


19 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Ooh I like that. Love the colours you've chosen too. Must have another try on canvas. Not done anything on that surface for a wee while.

Thanks for sharing.

Jackie x

Zuzu's Blog said...

fab piece Trish. great colours and lots of flowing movement ..

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...gorgeous colours on this piece Trish it's all come together beautifully super image too...Mel :)

Sandra Botham said...

I adore this, the colours are devine, the stamped images blend beautifully. The little girl is gorgeous.
Love it, thanks for sharing, may have to have a try at this.
Sandra.

Louise said...

It's lovely ... fab colours & thanks for the tute x

Helen said...

This is stunning! I love the colours, so cool and fresh looking, and the overall effect is just beautiful.

Sid said...

Fab project Trish, love your dreamy colours !!

Artyjen said...

'Tis a scrumptious background and a great all round canvas ;) Just gorgeous colour way too.
xoxo Sioux

Jennie Atkinson said...

A fabulous project! Just LOVE the colours and I have just checked and I have them all!!! Just not used them all together.

Redanne said...

The colours are amazing Trish and the whole canvas came together beautifully, love it!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Again very creative and these colors together are amazing!

greetings, Alie :-)

Candy C said...

Trish...your piece is awesome! I love the colors and how you've used the paint for stamping as well as creating your background! Love your design! <3 Candy

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

I love it ! the color combo is awesome !

Anonymous said...

Love this! The background is totally fab & colours are gorgeous.

Janny Jager said...

Very creative with very nice colors.

Greetings Janny

BJ said...

Adore these colours and the instructions are fab so I might even be able to have a go at this. BJ

Ginger said...

Nice colours, love your canvas. carol x

craftytrog said...

I adore your beautiful painty canvas Trish, love the colours you used too!
Alison xox

My name is Cindy said...

Great piece, love the colour and all those painty layers. Great use for a Mills and Boon novel as well!