Friday 2 November 2012

Steampunk in October... by Joanna King

Hello! My name is Joanna (aka Asia King) from Under a Creative Spell and I am super excited to play this month with the Artistic Stamper Creative Team!

My first guest design project was inspired by Kate Crane’s monthly calendar challenge. I must admit, I haven’t been very disciplined to keep up with all the months but after seeing this amazing range of stamps, my hands were immediately itching to start crafting!

For my calendar pages I used water colour paper, which I first painted with gesso. Then all the fun began! Using purple, orange and white acrylic paints I painted the pages, smearing and overlapping the colours as I went.

Then to start building layers I randomly sponged the paints through a mask with a collage of numbers. When the paint was dry, I stamped layers of images from Large Dotty Closed Background and Punk Plaid Background and added some paint accents through sequin waste.
Using an embossing ink I stamped the 'bubbles' from the Borders A5 #2 plate and heat embossed them with Stampendous Aged Wine embossing enamel. Then, with white, black and gold paints I stamped a number of circles with plastic bottle tops and I added a few black lines with Ranger's craft scraper.
To 'frame' my page I used the tiny dots and gears from the Borders A5 #2 plate which were stamped with Pumpkin and Jet Black StazOn inks.
My calendar days were punched from scraps of patterned paper and the edges were distressed with  Spiced Marmalade and Dusty Concord distress inks. The Steampunk butterflies and the snail are from the Tick Tock Butterflies set, which I stamped onto patterned paper and coloured in with the distress inks.

To finish the page I added some black rub ons. I hope you've enjoyed reading about this project and I look really look forward to sharing my next project with you!

TTFN!

16 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, fabulous project!! Love the multi layered background and how you have used the stamps, - and the colours just sing! LOVE it!!

Crafting Queen said...

Super pages, love the background.

Words and Pictures said...

Just gorgeous Joanna - that background is out of this world! Fantastic to see you Guesting here - looking forward to more...
Alison x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow! fantastic project and such a gorgeous background. The colours and layers are just wonderful. Have a lovely month and looking forward to seeing your next project.

Inkypinkycraft said...

A great make love all the yummy layers trace x

Joanna Wiśniewska said...

Great project Asia and superb background :)

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! xx

Artyjen said...

That's a wowser of a background :)
xoxo Sioux

Unknown said...

Looks absolutely amazing. I love the background. Such pretty colors.

Linda~

Janny Jager said...

Super project Joanna.
Very very nice
Greetings Janny

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous Joanna. I love the depth of colour and texture you have created. A great job.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Thank you again for your lovely comments xx

Joyous said...

Absolutely fantastic pages. Thanks for the 'How to' as well, I shall aspire to backgrounds of such depth, and clean, precise placement of stamps, squares and diecuts.

Unknown said...

Love all the layers.

Jenny Marples said...

Love your colour combinations on this Joanna. What a fab first project!! Hugs, Buttons x

Unknown said...

Wow, love this calendar and your fab steampunk butterflies Joanna. Congrats on the guest spot!!!