Sunday 4 January 2015

Dragonfly Card

Hello to you all Wishing all of you a very Happy New year!
I hope you all had a very good Christmas and are 
looking forward to a very crafty 2015.

I was very lucky my son's bought me the distress stains for Christmas 
and this is my first play with them.

For my first post of 2015 I have created a card made from the Artistic Stamper's
 fabulous Neil Walker stamps and the dragonfly from the insects &
butterfly plate and lots of lovely embossing.
  1. Distress inks in the following colours:- iced spruce, vintage photo, wild honey, fired brick & walnut stain.
  2. Distress stains spray in the following colours:- wild honey, fired brick, iced spruce & tarnished brass.
  3. The following Artistic Stamper Stamps:- Neil Walkers alphabet soup & boarder set the dragonfly off the insects and butterflies. 
  4. Gold & clear embossing powder
  5. Small coloured beads and home made beads for the centre body please see my blog.
  6. Ranger distress stickles in the following colours:- aqua & copper.
  7. Versamark.
  8. Deco art liquid glass.
  9. Gold ink pad.
  10. Viva Ferro, ledger stencil.

Firstly I coloured a piece of white card with distress inks blending off a craft mat.
I used wild honey, vintage photo, iced spruce and fired brick.


I sprayed water onto my fingers the flicked it across the card and mopped up with tissue
& repeated it until I was happy with the result. I then used my distress stained iced spruce 
and lightly spritzed it. I inked the Neil walker alphabet soup stamp in gold
and stamped the bottom and top right.


You can just see it faintly, next I inked up the boarder stamp with
Walnut stain distress ink and gently put gold embossing
 powder so it didn't cover the entire stamped image,
then heat set.


I cut out a square and from the piece of coloured card I then cut 
another piece off and a third and arranged it 
out on the original cut square.


I then inked up the boarder stamp with walnut stain. Without 
putting it on a block I just placed the stamp where I wanted it
 on the third piece and then covered it in clear embossing 
powder and heat set. Ferro paste was put through the date 
on the ledger stencil on the bottom left hand side.


The edges were run along the versa mark ink pad then swiped 
through gold embossing powder to finish the square off. 
For the dragonfly I inked it up with walnut stain stamped it 
onto distress coloured card which was clear embossed.
I sprayed the wings with tarnished gold, wild honey 
and fired brick spray stains. Decoart liquid glass was 
applied to the wings and allowed to dry.
.

The main body of the dragon fly is made up with a bead I made 
please see my blog. The head is again beads made up 
from sequins and from my stash also copper stickles. small seed beads
were glued around and then I a dot of aqua stickles to finish.


Wire and a bead were used for the antennae. Finally mounted onto 
black card and attached onto a white card. Well that's it for today
 I hope you have all enjoyed this post please feel free to
 leave a comment or two.
Cheers Dee x

13 comments:

Samra said...

WOW! This is a work of art!!

massofhair said...

Hi Dee, fantastic first post for 2015, looking forward to more of your fabulous creations!

Great background, lovely colour combinations which enhances the clear and gold embossing powders.

Your dragonfly is amazing, you could make these as stand alone pieces and add them to curtains and cushions etc.

Loving your card very much:-) xxx

Helen said...

Love it - what a start to the year. The dragonfly is gorgeous.

Dee in N.H. said...

Wow! Gorgeous! Love the background and the beautiful dragonfly too.

Words and Pictures said...

That's amazing, Dee - such opulent gilding and rich colours, and the dragonfly is a showstopper by itself!
Alison xx

Jackie PN said...

Oh Dee! This is just gorgeous!! I love your color play and that gold- is WOW! But I have to say, that dragonfly is outstanding!!The wings,the body...you really did well Dee!!hugs")

Sid said...

Superb card for the New Year !

Notations of a Crafter said...

Fabulous what a great way to start off the new year. Really love the colours and the dragonfly is amazing

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning card Dee, love how the background turned out and the dragonfly with the beads looks fantastic!!!

Sorry I have not been around much lately but wishing you all the very best for the coming year!!
xxx

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Wonderful card, Dee, always love to read your tutorial, TFS

Juliz Design Post said...

Hi Dee, what a stunning card, loving your background and all the textures added to your dragonfly.
Julie x

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

Dee, this is a wonderful card !!!

Cocofolies said...

A fabulous card!!! Coco x