Friday 1 October 2010

Layering It On... The October Challenge

Goodly Morning peeps... THANK YOU all for your lovely colourful entries in the September Rainbow Challenge. The Winner of the Candy will be announced in a few days when Jennie gets back from the Artisan Show. I have chosen this months theme and you all know how I love to add layers to my projects... so the theme is... LAYERS!




I altered an Ikea photoframe by layering lots of strips of Nostalgic Tissue Tape over it so it was entirely covered and then colouring it with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink. I made a little centrepiece using white card, coloured with more Distress Inks, this time; Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Barn Door, Broken China and Vintage Photo. I stamped a Tim Holtz sentiment - I love this one, it has to be one of my faves - and then adding some backgroundy sprigs using Pine Needles DI and a few butterflies using Rusty Hinge and Aged Mahogany DI's.



I used some Grungepaper, StaZon and Distress Inks to make some flowers - the stamps I used are: Flower Power, Flower Blooms and Flower Fever and then overstamped with lots of background stamps. I added a little dimensional butterfly using one of the new Steampunk Stamp sets - overstamping him with a lacey background. I cut a few leaves from the new Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves Alteration Die and embossed these with Texture Fades... colouring with Crushed Olive, Forest Moss and finally Aged Mahogany to get an autumnal look to the leaves... All of these layers were stuck together with Glossy Accents... gotta love that as a glue... I added a little gem into the centre of the flowers and popped a couple of pins from my stash behind to jazz them up a bit.




So... that is my entry... what will you make for yours? The rules of the challenge are simples...make a piece of art (it can be absolutely anything) including the theme... once you have blogged it (or added it to your Flickr or similar account), leave a comment here for us with a link to the place you are showing your entry, add your deets to the Froggy-link and we can come and see your entry. If you use Artistic Stamper stamps in your piece, then your name will be entered twice into the draw. The winner will be chosen at random and announced at the beginning of next month... the prize up for grabs is £15 worth of Artistic Stamper stamps of your choice, plus the KlingOn to mount them onto! Thanks for looking... have lots of inky fun!

Hels x

21 comments:

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is gorgeous, Hels! Love the colours. That idea of using the tissue tape in strips on the frame is brill, must try it!

Lucy x

Created By You said...

Ooooh, I love layers! Great card and challenge!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Fabulous art Hels! Love that lacy butterfly! Hope you are feeling less poo-like soon! xxx

Helen said...

Hels, this is lovely! I think I may be able to find something to layer.... Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy Evans said...

Hi Hels, another great piece and another great challenge, I cannot believe a month has disappeared so quickly. My entry for this months challenge is here. Hope you had a great workshop. Take care, Tracy Evans x

Sarah said...

Dear Hels and team,
Fabulous inspiring work on show again! Great theme and as I just love to layer...couldn't resist, so here is my entry:
http://blueboxbabe.blogspot.com/2010/10/simon-says-and-artistic-stamper.html

Sarah

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Great Challenge, and gorgoeus layering :)) I have now fixed the inklinkz thingy whotsit, so please add your link if you have joined in the challenge :))
Jennie

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

What a stunning altered frame, Hels, the tissue tape looks soooo lovely. Do you think you could bring this frame to the Stamp Attic on the 16th or 17th Oct so I could have a closer look? ;))) Just added my entry to the froggy thingie ;)
xx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

What a stunning altered frame, Hels, the tissue tape looks soooo lovely. Do you think you could bring this frame to the Stamp Attic on the 16th or 17th Oct so I could have a closer look? ;))) Just added my entry to the froggy thingie ;)
xx

Zoechaos said...

Thanks for the suggestion Sioux would never have thought of entering my canvas here! xx Zoe

Scrapping With Sherry said...

Thanks for hosting this challenge. My granddaughter and myself put this together hoping to find a challenge to post in and this one is perfect.

~Sherry

GlitteryKatie said...

Love the entries- I do LOVE my layers- you should see how lumpy my scrap album is!!!

Sue West said...

Gorgeous creation Hels, love that tissue tape on the frame. Thought I'd have a go with that, but made the horrible discovery that Crackle Paint will not stick to it!! Looked like a snowstorm when I picked it up after drying.
I've just posted my entry for this months challenge.
Sue x

Joanne said...

Not sure whether I could enter twice but as you would put folk in twice if they used your stamps I thought it would be ok 'cos I used them on the second piece. To be honest, I'm in such a dither lately I started this today having forgotten that I had already entered!!!!!! Der!!
Luv Joanne xx

Saskia said...

Great challenge, had a lot of fun with it. Your piece is lovely as usual, Hels.


Saskia

Anonymous said...

Finally got around to joining in! Lol! xx

Gini said...

Beautiful altered frame, I love the colours Hels!
My entry is here
Thank you so much for the challenge :-)
Gini
xx

Helen said...

Didn't think I was going to get time to try this one, but I have added my link.

Helen said...

Fabby challenge, thanks

Jolanda said...

A lovely frame! I think I have some old ikea frames tucked away somewhere :) !!!!
Jolanda x