Wednesday 14 September 2011

Explorer's Journal. By Zuzu


Hi there. Zuzu here;
I am back for my second guest design team piece.

I have begun to alter a book. It will be an ongoing project though so today I am going to share the cover and three inside pages with you. It started as a red scruffy leather (ish) little book of Shakespeare that's been having pages torn out and used in crafty makes for over a year.The theme is based ona Darwinian type explorer. A bit of travel and a bit of flora and fauna gathering and examining. (this is not to say they are always labeled correctly ;)

As is almost always the case with me, this has been made to look very ancient and tatty scruffy and distressed. I deliberately don't stamp everything perfect and crisp as i want it to look distressed and flawed. THe Fly (known here as the Simpli-fly) is under a vintage glass optical lens and the "bird without wings" (which bears a startling resemblance to a snail), is under a microscope glass slide.
Stamps used from The Artistic Stamper:

Travelling Words found HERE
Europe map background found HERE
Goose Grease found HERE
Calligraphy Mat 13 found HERE
Butterfly words found HERE
Insects and Butterflies No. 1 # 017 found HERE
Flourish Swirls found HERE

Other supplies available from The Artistic Stamper:

Distress inks : I used antique linen, vintage photo, fired brick, aged mahogany, pine needle, dusty concord, peeled paint.
Paint dabber: I used butterscotch.
Vintage Eyeglass: scroll down near the bottom.
Bigz Die Tiny tags and tabs: I used the wee tabs
Ideaology: I used a word stick, a game spinner and two metal corners.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I love everything you do and this is no exception! I love how it looks weathered and worn and all of your little details that make this journal so special!

Dragon said...

That looks fabulous and so old!! I don't think I can tear up a book or do stuff to it but I admire thise who can, especially as nicely as this!!
Frankie
xx

Paula Whittaker said...

always love all the detail you put into your pieces. Fab!

Astrid Maclean said...

Great project and a super idea!

Sid said...

Excellent effects on your book....super project !!

Zuzu's Blog said...

thank you all.
Z x

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

This is lovely :))

Elly said...

Can i take a lesson in that tuffy scruffy technic? Omg....what a treasure. The look of the cover is breathtaking..and all the inside details...WOW
Elly

Kirsten Alicia said...

That is beautiful, I love it.

craftytrog said...

Brilliant & so inspiring! Love the tatty vintage look of it Zuzu! x

Artyjen said...

Fabby vintage/aged book. I wonder where the explorer will go next?
xoxo Sioux