Sunday 17 June 2012

Nothing but a pack of cards (and a little book box): By Zuzu

I got one of the little Book box sets from "The Artistic Stamper" Shop... its a pack of two, one slightly smaller than the other so they fit inside each other. I used the slightly bigger one for this project. I used a mini pack of cards (out of a christmas cracker) to expand on the tumbling cards theme of the stamp.

Firstly I used gesso in the whole book. then i sanded it lightly to just add a hint of a distressed age look.

I stained the edges with inks  and then stamped on the Alice stamp in black ink.  I coloured in the image. This close up shows the slight distressing in the gesso.

On the back I simply distressed a couple of playing card images from my stash and glued them in place with some metal charms (carrying on the Alice theme).

The inside: I used a text stamp straight to the inside front cover. I sort of sat on the fence a bit before deciding as I knew it would be tricky and wouldnt stamp cleanly, but as almost everything i make has a distressed shabby look, i decided it would be appropriate. on the main inside section though, I coloured some paper with distress inks and then stamped the same text stamp out.. I cut it out and glued it into place.
Then I started to build up some Alice themed interest inside. I painted a wooden 'A' red, and stamped the text over it.  I drew a toadstool, coloured it in and cut it out and also some grass. I put glossy accents on the spots of the toadstool. I left flaps on them when cutting out so i could glue them into place in a 3D manner. As Mr caterpillar has transformed,  I stamped out the butterfly and glued him in.

On the front cover side, I glued in some metal branches and flowers... then painted them red (as in the story). I had a bit of a notion that maybe the queen of hearts had a bit of a thing for the white rabbit ... (my mind isnt always rational)... So I painted a wooden heart red, then stamped the white rabbit on to it. I coloured him in with paints. I also painted in some random blanket stiches around the edge of the heart in black.
Lastly, I glued on the miniature playing cards around the edges and neatened it on the inside with some blue bias-binding. (I think thats what it is called)... and there you have it.. a "curious keepsake".



Supplies Used from The Artistic Stamper:

Alice stamp and white rabbit stamp HERE (scroll down a wee bitty)
Butterfly stamp HERE
Distress inks (I used broken china and fired brick) HERE
Little book boxes HERE

18 comments:

Jacqueline said...

THAT is just fantastic! Love that piece to bits. :)

Thanks for sharing

Jackie x

Zuzu's Blog said...

Thank you Jacqueline.

Z x

Squiddy said...

delightfully inspiring :-)

Astrid Maclean said...

A great piece! Never read the Alice story, but some of its magic definitely comes through here I'm sure!

My name is Wynneth said...

This is awesome - I love how you continued the Alice theme all the way through. Might have to check out these book boxes in the shop myself !
hugs
wynneth
x

Zuzu's Blog said...

@ Astrid.... I have never read the Alice books right through either LOL. wonderland or looking glass... dislike the Disney cartoon intensely (but not a fan of any Disney). So Umm I guess what I know of it, is from half a book read and the various TV and film adaptations I have watched.
its a story full of characters and symbols that makes it an easy theme to replicate.

Maybe, one day, I will read the rest.

Redanne said...

Your book box is just gorgeous, love all the colours and the way the cover 'tells a story', it really is beautiful.

Irene said...

This is just AMAZING,love Alice themed stuff,so this is VERY inspiring

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Love that Alice book box with all the beautiful details. I've made a Alice picture too, love the story.

Sandra's Spot said...

ZuZu, I love this little Alice book box its gorgeous. Brilliant idea to use bias binding to neaten of. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra X

Rita said...

Oh my goodness Louise, this is fantastic. A lot of creativity going on here ,but I bet you had a great time too. TFS. Hugs Rita xxx

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

This is great ! and funny that you used playing cards...
hugs !

Dragon said...

Really pretty little project
Frankie
xx

craftytrog said...

An amazing piece Louise, so many wonderful details
Alison xox

Janny Jager said...

A greta little book you made from the box
love it very much.

Greetings Janny

Sid said...

great design....love it !!

Artyjen said...

Great way to alter the book ;)
xoxo Sioux

My name is Cindy said...

Love Alice pieces and this is a real winner! Love all the little details. Cindy