Wednesday 9 January 2013

Butterfly Frame by Alison

Hello Stampers! I hope you've all had a crafty start to the new year. I have a decorated wooden frame (160mm x160mm) to share with you today.
I started by using Studio Matt Medium to glue small pieces of Composer Tissue Wrap to the frame, adding creases for texture. Next, I used the Matt Medium to glue lace around the edges. I also glued on a few bits of torn book text.
When the glue was dry, I brushed a thin layer of Studio Gesso all over, to bring everything together.
I highlighted the texture on the frame with Cobalt Blue and orange Viva Inka Gold.
I smeared a little Gesso onto a metal corner and a butterfly charm, then highlighted with the blue Viva Gold. I also used the Viva Gold on the edges of 2 small metal filigree leaves. I shaped the leaves, and glued them & the butterfly charm to the top right of the frame, using Matt Medium. I glued the metal corner to the opposite corner.
For the background in the centre of the frame, I used the Caught in Crystal technique. Here's how it's done...
1. Take a sheet of acetate, & dribble Glossy Accents all over it. As this is quite messy, it's best to do this on a non-stick craft sheet.
2. Drip  different colours of Alcohol Inks all over the Glossy Accents. I used meadow, stream & butterscotch. At this point, you can also add glitter, guilding flakes, micro beads, or fibres.
3. Take a large piece of white tissue paper, and lay it over the coloured glue, scrunching it to add creases, then leave to dry completely.
I cut my Caught in Crystal piece to fit in the frame. Next, I stamped the butterfly from the Insects & Butterflies 1 Plate onto book page, and cut it out. I bent the wings slightly, and attached the body of the butterfly to the background, using glossy accents. I attached an Ideaology Game Spinner for the body.
To finish, I stamped the Butterfly Words on the edge of some book paper, cut it out in two parts, then glued the pieces to the frame.
Thanks for looking,
Alison xxx

15 comments:

Sarah said...

A little different for you yet still beautiful. Love the results of your caught in crystal technique.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Wonderful make and I love the talk through of the crystal technique, it looks wonderful!! Trace x

Jenny Marples said...

A beautiful frame with so many great techniques. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

Helen said...

What a lovely frame, Alison, it looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous, Alison.

Astrid Maclean said...

FABULOUS project!! Love all the different techniques you used! And they blend so seamlessly together to stunning effect!!

Redanne said...

A gorgeous piece of art Alison, I do love that captured crystal technique too. Hugs, Anne x

Artyjen said...

What a great make...love the frame idea.
xoxo Sioux

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely gorgeous piece... love those vibrant colours, and the frame looks fabulous!
Alison x

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful! Love all the textured tissue and that stunning crystal background.

Janny Jager said...

Fabulous frame Alison.
Love the texture very much .
Also the butterfly is gorgeous.

Greetings Janny

hazel said...

This is gorgeous Alison, I love it.
xxx Hazel.

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful!!!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fantastic Alison. I love all the textures and what a great use for a spinner!

Merrylioness said...

Oh how very inspiring. I shall give this a try. What a beautiful piece of art. Thank you for sharing.