Wednesday 1 September 2010

Sing A Rainbow... A New Challenge!

Morning Peeps... wow, what a first month we had and I would like to say a HUGE thank you for all your lovely comments, entries to the challenge and support! The winner for the August challenge will be announced on Friday (Sept 3rd) so please be sure to check back. In the meantime, I have a brand new theme for September's challenge... which is ... RAINBOWS. So, you can use rainbow images or colours... to enter, all you have to do is make a piece of art, add in the theme and if you use Artistic Stamper stamps on your piece, your name is automatically entered twice into the draw... which means you could win £15 worth of Artistic Stamper stamps plus Kling-On to mount them onto.

For my entry I made a couple of cards using Alcohol Inks and Glossy Cardstock.

Card 1


Using the colours of the rainbow in Alcohol Inks - I always remember the order with the old saying... Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain... so I used Red Pepper, Sunset Orange, Sunshine Yellow, Clover Green, Sail Boat Blue, Cool Peri and Purple Twilight Alcohol Inks. I started by drawing a line of ink onto the applicator tool felt, going through the spectrum so I had a pad full of lines - make sure not to get the lines touching each other too much otherwise the colours will muddy - then I dragged the tool across the glossy card in a sweeping movement, so the lines transferred to the card, repeating this until the card was covered in stripes, then I turned the card around and did the same again so I made a plaid effect background.




I then made some more coloured glossy card, this time by dropping ... erm, drops of ink onto the card, then blasting the inkspots with air from an aircan - you know the type that you can get to clean out nooks and crannies on your keyboard? Well, these are FAB for giving an inksplat look. Once this card was covered, I stamped the birdcage - from the Free As A Bird set onto it in Black Archival ink. A tip when using Archival on glossy card - heat dry it otherwise fingers smudge the image :O)) I cut out the birdcage and then made a collage on the plaid background using more of the birdy stamps.I added a piece of ribbon and stamped the little wren onto more of the splatty card, cutting him out and popping him onto silicone glue so he stands proud. The finishing touch was adding a little Idea-ology birdy on a jump ring.



CARD 2



Is a diddy card... using the same principal of making a stripey background, but this time keeping it stripey... I stamped a mini sentiment from Tim Holtz collection and then added a border - with more Tim stamping on it... again in Archival ink.I stamped two of the Flower Blooms flowers onto offcuts of the stripey card and layered them together with a Prima gem in the middle.



The birdies in the background are from the Birds of a Feather set and are stamped again in Archival and then I just dragged the inkpad around the edge of the card to finish it all off.

So, if you fancy a challenge and want to join in, please add your name and pic to the linky below - the challenge will be open until September 30th - and the winner announced shortly afterwards. Also, please can you leave a comment when you add your linky entry please? That way I can make sure I don't miss visiting you :O)) Thanks for looking... have a goodly day...

Hels x

24 comments:

Netty said...

Wow Hels that first one is positively luminous, a brilliant effect. Annette x

slbt17 said...

these are wonderful!
Sandra

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Pots of gold at them there rainbows? Beautiful colors, I'll be back to play!

Lucy Edmondson said...

These are just stunning, both of you,

Lucy x

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Hels, loving what you have done:)) off to make mine ....

Helen said...

I love these - gorgeous soft colours, so pretty.

JoZart Designs said...

These are fabulous! I might just have a go myself after such inspiration! Thanks for sharing,
JoZarty x

jodpea said...

Just excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the table! I can't get over how well that technique has worked! Just from reading the description I would've assumed the lines would merge together but they are actually really defined! Did you have to wait for one direction to dry before you did the other?

Girlsinthecraft said...

Sweet samples ladies---I am inspired.

Lisa Somerville said...

Great inspiration, love the bright colors!

Marijane said...

Hels, both of these cards are just so pretty and bright! I am a huge fan of the alcohol ink on glossy cardstock technique and you have shown two beautiful examples to kick-off this challenge.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards Hels! Love them both! Fab challenge, great excuse to get the AIs out! xx

Tracy Evans said...

What a great theme for a challenge. I love the rainbow DT pieces and that bird cage is gorgeous. The rainbow effect is very effective. Have a good evening, Tracy Evans x

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Love that rainbow plaid!

kaylou said...

Hi Hels
I have finally plucked up courage to enter your challenge...woohoo!
(been too scared to enter before...what a wazac!!)lol
anyway I'm loving it and I'll be back...loving your work Hels.
Hugs Kaylou xoxo

Esther said...

had great fun playing with lots of colour..thanks for great inspiration your cards are amazing. (I'm on hols when winner's announced so will have to wait a few extra days)...Esther xx

Amanda said...

Thanks for the challenge I've added my link :) I had a very enjoyable day playing with alcohol inks at one of Jennie's workshops, the effects on glossy card always amaze me.

Tracey said...

OOOOOO errrrr, thay are fab Hels, lovin em.
Ha, have managed the linky although I should have cropped the pic, but I will know for next time, I know it's only a minor techy triumph ha ha ha.
x

Annemaritta said...

Thank you for the good cause.

Sarah A said...

Forgot to leave a comment yesterday when I linked my entry! Love the vibrant, err rainbow colours on the plaid. Not normally my cupoftea these bright colours but I actually enjoyed getting my inks out and making something so bright!

Thanks for the great challengeas I now have a piece of artwork for my craft room wall (well whenever my husband finishes putting all the furniture together!!!()

Sarah x

Helen said...

I am very new to entering challenges, only just done a blog (and I don't really know what I am doing!!) Fab rainbow makes, they are all lovely

Gini said...

Wow the examples are bright and beautiful and so are all the lovely projects in the links!
Love this theme, thank you Hels :-)
Gini
xx

Gini said...

Wow the examples are bright and beautiful and so are all the lovely projects in the links!
Love this theme, thank you Hels :-)
Gini
xx

Kat said...

Beautiful cards Hels,
grate seeing you at ally pally,
thanks for my flower,
I'm still quite new to linking things up, I hope I did it wright, Thanks for the challenge:)
Kathleen x.