Tuesday 3 January 2012

Some simple thinking and inking!


A big hello and a Very Happy New Year wish to you all! Sarah here with my first Guest spot at the Artistic Stamper! Firstly, I hope you've all had a fantastic time of celebrations, lounging, fine food and merriment! A whole new year of crafty discoveries lie ahead...but where, oh where, do we start? Well, I have enjoyed all the tinsel, glitter and glam stuff, but I thought some back to basics, old school inkiness might just be the tonic! Some days you just can't beat fine stamps, Distress Inks and tattered edges...
After all the festive tags and mass card production, it's nice spending some quality time with just a couple of free themed creations. I was drawn to the elegant and fine details of the flowers on The Botanical Plate 1. I created a stencil by drawing and cutting out three rectangles from a card scrap. I taped it lightly to my card and began gently sponging graduated shades of Distress Inks with a piece of Cut 'n' Dry Foam. I used Mustard Seed, Scattered Straw and Wild Honey working from light to dark. Sponge gently taking care not to drag or twist otherwise you'll get streaks and lines.

I gave it a quick dry with my heat gun and then I inked up my stamp in Plum Archival Ink by Ranger. It's a great colour and just a little different from the brown shades. I made sure I stamped off centre, between two blocks so the flower can be seen against both the white card and rich inky tones. I then stamped a Wendy Vecchi sentiment which seemed to fit perfectly with the daisy. See lots more Wendy words here! I distressed and inked the edges and layered it up onto some Graphic 45 design paper and a white card base.

For my second card I turned the stencil, slightly changing the colours by using Scattered Straw, Wild Honey and Rusty Hinge Distress Inks Take time to gently blend the colours. Don't be afraid to apply more ink to achieve the exact shade you want. Make sure your stencil has fairly wide sides otherwise you'll get ink around the card edge too!
This time I went for the Lilies (from the same plate) although they rather remind me of daffodils with these rich colours. I stamped them with using Ranger's Coffee Archival Ink. I also added a two lines of random machine stitching to my card base for a shabby look...see you don't have to be able to sew in a straight line at all! For extra interest, I also added some gold thread, ribbon and lace scraps, and an orphan button.

Once again all finished off with fine Wendy words. Coincidentally, these two wonderful floral stamps are also available to buy individually here. So if you're on a post Chrimbo budget, you can still play along!
Well, that's me all done...
Just a simple but effective idea to get you going and one you can adapt for use with many colours and stamps. Especially when you think of all those thank you cards you need to write, not to mention the faint whisper of Valentine's and Mothers Day! Thanks for calling by and happy crafting! Sarah.

10 comments:

craftytrog said...

Two wonderfully clever & elegant cards Sarah! You have inspired me as usual!
Alison xox

Sid said...

Two lovely cards, nice and bright !

Mandy Makes and Mends said...

Fab cards Sarah, after all the glitz and glimmer glad to see some lovely striking simple cards ...the colours are vibrant x

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Fabulous cards , and welcome to our world!
xx

Crafty Loops said...

Sarah this card is beautiful, the colours are stunning and I love the stamp. Lee x

505whimsygirl said...

Great cards Sarah. I love the sentiment on the first card.

Happy New Year!

Joanne said...

Welcome Sarah, what a fabulous start. The colour is fab, the stamps superb, the size of the cards just right and the presentation is new and exciting. Looking forward to your next project too.
Hugs Joanne xx

Emma Williams said...

Beautiful cards Sarah...absolutely stunning!
Love Emma xx

Lynne Forsythe said...

OHHHHHH.....my fabby SARAH...once again a STUNNING creation!!

whyducks said...

Really lovely cards!