Thursday 27 September 2012

Altered Canvas by Astrid


There is no doubt about it, collage is one of my all time favourite techniques and the Artistic Stampers stamps lend themselves so well for this.
Here is a list of the stamps I used for this project:
Postage 1
Ephemera 1
Chickenwire Background
Speckle 4 x 6
Journaling Words II
Time & Keys

I started by covering a canvas of 6 x 8 " with random bits of paper and strips of Wasi tape from my stash using Claudine Hellmuth Matte Medium. Next I covered it with a thin wash of Gesso I then stamped some images from the Ephemera 1 and Postage 1 plates on smooth white card in Black Archival Ink, coloured them with Vintage Photo Distress Inks, cut them out and also adhered them to the canvas in more or less random places. I also added a vintage photo from my stash

Next I added some texture paste through a couple of Dylusions Stencils and some background stamping with the Speckle and Chicken wire background stamps in Coffee Archival Ink. Then I  some wasi tape in carefully selected places to give a pleasing (I hope) composition to my collage. The next step was to cover the photo with a baby wipe and add a few spritzes of Perfect Pearls Mist in Patina Blue and Dylusions Spray in Melted Chocolate to add some more colour. It needed something more so I added some elements from the Time & Keys plate, stamped and cut out as before this time also adding some Broken China Distress Ink.

Now for the final step: I inked the edges with some Dark Brown chalk ink from my stash and then added some shading with a charcoal pencil to add more depth. I also added a tiny bit of white shading with a white pen on the photo to make it pop a bit more, added a charm and that was it. 


Here are some detail pictures still




Hope you enjoyed this project and will give collage a go.


29 comments:

Jacqueline said...

THAT is absolutley stunning!! I love that piece! I must have a try at that sometime!

Thanks for sharing,

Jackie x

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I did my first mixed media/collage work last week! loved it and am definitely going to carry on! I feel like I've finally found what I like (used to be a pen and water colour girl!)

Sandie said...

oh my! Isn't this gorgeous! Just adore the various tecniques you have used and applied.... those stamps are 'wow factor'.... so very inspiring... thank you!

Ink Art Designs said...

Wow...I LOVE this! So creative and beautiful. I think I will be giving this a go!!! I'm still on the edge with mixed media (I love it, just not game to give it a proper go). These colours are gorgeous and the composition just perfect.
Dot x

Marisa Job said...

Gorgeous collage! I would love to learn how to make this. I took a class a few months ago but I have not practiced on my own. Your work is always stunning!!

sharon said...

I love this, you are right, collage is my favorite too, and you excel at it! This is very very inspiring, and so quirky gorgeous!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Waw, gorgeous!!!in every detail, I really like this canvas, thanks for your explication,I hope to do such beautifull canvas once myself, it's really wonderfull, thanks for showing us!!

Greetings
Maria

Hope and Chances said...

Stunning work, such amazing detail :) xx

Ephemera said...

Absolutely stunning work Astrid love it. X

Dorthe said...

Astrid, this is fabolous, MY ! do I have something to learn!!! , so many things I would not have thought of doing myself,-
--this is masterly done, and your colours are so stunning. Thankyou for enrichening my knowlage and for the wonderful tutorial.
Wish you a, not as wet, day as I have here :-)
XO,Dorthe

Julia S-W said...

Just stunning and beautiful and right up my street! Really love this.
Juliax

Jennie Atkinson said...

This is just so beautiful Astrid - the colours are so beautifully blended and the masks and elements you have used just are all so wonderfully vintage. You have inspired me to give it a go!

Zuzu's Blog said...

I VERY love this Astrid....

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

Astrid, your canvas is stunning !! I love it !

Art From The heart said...

What a wonderful piece of art ! I love every detail and appreciate you sharing your tecnique.
Hugs

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW this is absolutley gorgeous! What a fantastic piece!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Wow, what a great canvas!!!

greetings, Alie :-)

Sarah said...

All of the layers and textures are so beautiful together. You have inspired me to try the texture paste that has been sitting in my studio for about a year now. I don't know why I haven't tried using it yet.

JoZart Designs said...

Beautiful canvas Astrid. It is quite evocative!
Love Jo x

Beverly Sager said...

I really like this, Astrid. The colors you used are just perfect. The sading adds so much. Beautifully balanced composition. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Beverly

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely glorious - from the delicious vintage colours, to the gorgeous embossed texture paste... a truly inspirational work of collaged art - thank you!
Alison x

Elly said...

Stunning canvas. Great choice of colours and thanks for the tutorial. That makes it a bit easyer to understand this awesome piece of art.

mark gould said...

wow, so beautiful x

Debbie Brackett said...

I love your canvas. It isn't the usual collage. You could look at it all day and find something new.

annesyme said...

Stunning creation, if I ever find the time I shall give this a try!
Anne x

Von said...

This has such wonderful depth to it ! just wonderful :)
Von ☺

Peggy Packer said...

Beatuiful as always, Astrid!!

Lori said...

Stunning! And I can't believe how much depth the charcoal pencil adds!

Artyjen said...

'Tis gorgeous..must look good hanging on your wall ;)
xoxo Sioux