Tuesday 24 September 2013

You can always count on me...

Hello everyone!  Alison (butterfly) here with a quick tag.  Dealing with moving house means the post might be (a little) shorter than usual too!

The inspiration for this tag came from the song You Can Always Count On Me from the musical City of Angels.  I needed numbers to "count" with - so I used mainly the stamps from Katy Fox's Numerical plate, along with a Crafter's Workshop stencil to create this tag.
I started with the stencil, and blended Broken China and Salty Ocean Distress Paints through it with a blending tool.
Once that was dry, making the DPs permanent, I inked over it with various Distress Inks - pretty sure Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn and maybe some Peacock Feathers are in there.
Next, a quick bit of spritz and flicking with water to give added texture.
Then I started layering in the stamps.
They're all stamped in Jet Black Archival, but - following one of Tim Holtz's tips last Stamptember - for some of them I patted the ink onto the stamp (gives you the nice dark stamping)...
...and for others I swept the pad across the stamp rather than tapping (gives you the paler version).
My trusty £1 alphabet stamps came out to stamp the title of the song.  I stamped it onto another tag that was lying around where I'd been playing with Dylusions sprays - the blues and greens over some white paint, which is what gives you the slightly pastel opaque look.
I cut out the words and mounted them on some mesh ribbon so that they'd stand out from my numerical background.
And, of course, my stand-by topper of Distress Stain dyed seam binding with some curled paper string tied in a bow, and we're done!

Thanks so much for dropping in today.  You've still got time to join in with our Autumn challenge here at The Artistic Stamper this month - we'd love to see you there.  Happy crafting!

Ingredients used:
Artistic Stamper stamps: Katy Fox Numerical Plate
Crafter's Workshop stencil
Distress Paints: Broken China, Salty Ocean
Distress Inks: Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn, Peacock Feathers, Broken China
Distress Stains: Mowed Lawn, Broken China, Salty Ocean, Picket Fence
Dylusions: Cut Grass, London Blue, Vibrant Turquoise
Seam binding
Manila Tag
From my stash: paper string, mesh ribbon

24 comments:

Rita said...

Fantastic Tag. I love the colours and the stencilling is wonderful. I certainly don't envy you moving house and packing all your crafty stash. Hugs Rita xxx

Nan G said...

Your background looked like bubbles in the sneak peek pic. Wow fab number stencil ! Love the paint then ink coloring on it! And my fave...spritz and flick! Really cool tag, butterfly! Good wishes for a smooth move. Hugs

Inkypinkycraft said...

great fresh greens x hugs x

Helen said...

Gorgeous colours, and I love that mesh! Mine just frays as soon as you look at it!. Hope the move is going well.

Sid said...

Great tag !

Redanne said...

That stencil looks amazing, love the colours you used and the white elements really do 'pop'. Beautiful work, as ever. Hugs, Anne x

sally said...

I love that stencil but find that the 12" version is a tad large for my work. I'm thinking that you must have used the smaller version but whichever it was the resulting tag is lovely.

Sally

Claudia N. said...

Love all those layers and the colours! A beautiful make!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Julie Lee said...

What lovely colours and that curled string again - just fabulous! Good luck with the house move! Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for you; it's such stress and hard work; but I'm sure it will be great when you're settled and able to play and create somewhere new! I wonder if the previous owners will have left anything alterable? Julie Ann xx

Amanda said...

Another fabulous technique filled make from Alison, brilliant!
Love
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

I like the background you created, the numbers are such a good choice.
A wonderful tag.
Wishes
Lynne

cathylynn said...

A yummy combination of stamps and colors equal one gorgeous tag! Another fabulous job Alison!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Astrid Maclean said...

Great looking background. Love how you made the words pop by mounting them on those white bit of hessian!

Terry said...

Such a fun and vibrant tag, Alison! Love the stenciled background and mix of stamps! Hugs!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous!! Love the layers of color. The blending tool does a great with the Distress Paints. Perfect resist layer. My favorite thing of the whole tag is the use of the mesh ribbon behind the words. Great texture and completely highlights the importance of the words on top of the saturated color of your background. Wonderful job with this tag!! -- Mary Elizabeth

Paper Profusion said...

Brilliant background Alison - I too think the hessian and curly bow are fab additions. Nicola x

ria gall said...

Hi Alison
what a wonderful background and a great tag. I am in love with your colour choices for this tag bright and vibrant
Ria

Margaret said...

Alison, your tag is fantastic! I love the colors and all of the layers of inky goodness!

Cocofolies said...

Wonderful tag, I love the colours and background !!

Glycérine said...

très beau boulot ! ça faisait si longtemps (honte à moi).. merci de m'avoir rendu visite et vraiment wow continue :)
xxx

Sheelagh Tomsett said...

Fabulous tag, love the colours used.
Sheelagh T.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fantastic colour combination and background which makes for a fabulous gag. I love the the sentiments on the hessian - beautiful touch.

Kezzy said...

Wow brilliant, I love the colours and all the layering with stencils :-) Kezzy xxx

Dianne said...

Excellent work here Miss Alison, loooooove it. thanks for sharing...