Monday 10 November 2014

Time's Up!

Hello all!  Alison (butterfly) here, and delighted to be back after a break.  I'm so grateful to Jennie for letting me take a sabbatical while I was busy with theatrical life in New York.  And I'm sorry that my first post back is a few hours late - computer troubles I'm afraid.  But (fingers crossed) it all seems okay, so I'm here with a timely tag!


I'm going to keep it quick today so as to get as close to the deadline as possible!  I created this using the fantastic Time and Keys plate and a tag background which had been floating around on my table for months.


I put texture paste (this was the new Ranger Texture Paste if I remember rightly) through the Tim Holtz Gothic stencil and then used Distress Stains in some of my favourite blues and greens to tint the whole thing.


I was inspired to create my platinum watch case by some fabulous pocket watch pendants I found at a street market in New York.  I stamped the back of the watch case in embossing ink and used platinum embossing powder to create a vintage sheen.  I blended over some Walnut Stain and Black Soot Distress Inks to highlight the intricate detailing.


For the watch face I stamped the front twice - once to create the platinum frame, and another version where I used fine detail black embossing powder for the numbers and clock hands.


I cut and layered them together and then mounted the front and the back on layers of padded tape to give extra dimension.


The quote was also embossed using the fine detail black powder, and I inked the edges with Pumice Stone and Frayed Burlap.


I layered the whole thing onto one of the pre-printed Prima tags as it seemed to need a bit of a frame.


Some satiny ribbon from my stash tops the whole thing off.


I'm pretty pleased with my vintage pocket watch - and I can only apologise that it doesn't keep better time!  Still, I'm only a couple of hours late, so I hope you'll forgive me.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you'll find time to join in with our Christmas Is Coming challenge this month.  You don't have to use Artistic Stamper stamps, but if you do you get two entries to the prize draw, so come and play along.

Ingredients used:
Artistic Stamper stamps: Time and Keys
Tim Holtz Layering Stencils - Gothic
Texture Paste
Distress Inks - Pumice Stone, Walnut Stain, Black Soot, Frayed Burlap
Distress Stains - Evergreen Bough, Faded Jeans, Stormy Sky, Iced Spruce
Embossing Powders - Ebony Superfine and Platinum
Versamark Ink
Treasure Gold, Ribbon and printed tag from my stash

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

This piece was worth the wait Alison. Absolutely gorgeous! Great background and I am in love with your pocket watch.....brilliant! Karen.x

Marci said...

Wonderful tag!

Rita said...

Welcome Home Alison. Love the textures on this wonderful tag. The watch looks fabulous and the colours look great. Nice to see you back among us again. Hugs Rita xxx

Helen said...

Always worth the wait for you Alison!! Love the tag.

massofhair said...

Welcome home Alison, your project is wonderful, glorious colours and very timely :-) xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wonderful tag! The watch reminds me of my grandad, who used to have one on a chain in his waistcoat pocket. His was quite a plain one - I love the beautiful case of yours.! Chrisx

Astrid Maclean said...

Beautiful tag Alison, great use of those stamps, and great texture too of course. Welcome back!

c.szyba said...

gorgeous tag,
bye from France
Pitchoune

cathylynn said...

Welcome home Alison! Your tag is outstanding and I love the textures. Great colors too!
Hugs, cathy-Lynn

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Welcome back..missed you!! :)
Gorgeous texture and blue is lovely!! Fantastic tag, never thought of Gothic texture with the watch. TFS

Nan G said...

Cool watch tag, butterfly! Well worth waiting for and so glad to see you back in crafty blog land! Hugs

Dianne said...

Late or not Miss Alison it is wonderful to have you back, the background is gorgeous, love the case and your watch your created is fantastic, looooove the way you made the sentiment, and always the perfect topping, have a wonderful restful week, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Sid said...

A great tag !!

Dorthe said...

It is amazing, with the beautiful background stenciled and inked in so wonderful, tones . The watch parts looks fantastic ,too,- like a real old silver one!! A beautiful tag, dear Alison !
xo,Dorthe

Cocofolies said...

I absolutely love this tag, with the two faces of the clock put aside for a lovely dimension and great details like the platinum frame.. also the texture and the quote are fabulous!!! Coco xx

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Alison,
Fabulous Bg; I love textured backgrounds, so this caught my eye immediately.
As always, your design to compliment the bg is wonderful. I can imagine you are pleased to be home.
Smiles:)
Sue

Juliz Design Post said...

Love your style of tag Alison and as they say better late than never.
Julie x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

A gorgous tag, lovely blue background!
greetings, Alie

Unknown said...

Absolutely in love with that beautiful background. The stencil and colour is lush together (drooling now), think I got to get me one of those ;

Paper Profusion said...

Stunning as always Alison. Love the background hues and fab timepiece. Nicola x

Michele said...

this is stunning and the background work is amazing. i love art featuring "time"! xo

Lisa Minckler said...

Your patina's make me drool every time. This is no exception. Gorgeous work :)

Kirsten said...

Completely gorgeous, the pocket watch is beautiful.

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Hi great to have you back, I hope you enjoyed New York. Love what you have done with the watch as you know they are my favourite thing. Dee x

Cinderella Moments said...

Beautiful! The colors are gorgeous!
hugs♥,
Caroline

Anneke said...

Great tag. Thanks for showing how you made it. Anneke.

Julie Lee said...

A really exquisite tag. I just love how you did the background. Welcome back to the UK! xxx