Friday 28 February 2014

Creative Collection by Laura Bomber

Hello everyone!

        Welcome back to my third and final creation for The Artistic Stamper. I have really enjoyed my time here and I want to thank Jennie first of all for asking me to be here and also for her kindness and support.

I decided that for my final feature here at The Artistic Stamper I would do a step-by-step...I love seeing these as it really gives a great insight into how someone works (in my case amid lots of mess!) I don't do as many as I would like because I get so involved in the creative process that I forget to take pictures, but this time I tried to be very aware of the camera as well! This is a very picture heavy post I am afraid - so grab a cuppa!
       This started out as items destined for the bin (recycled!) but I decided to put them to far better use!
after decorating these 'rubbish' items with stamps, paints and inks....(and some other craft stash items)


       I turned it into this......
 And here is how it was done....

First I prepared the tins and toilet roll by painting them top and bottom and inside with Nougat Fresco paint.
 I then cut some card to fit around the items
 I began decorating the card by stenciling some Antique Linen Distress paint - For this one I used the Crafters Workshop 'Art is' stencil.

 I didn't cover the entire piece of card....you'll see here I dabbed randomly across the stencil
 I dried the paint and then began to apply some inks....I blended some Weathered Wood, Frayed Burlap and Vintage Photo.
 I then stamped some words - 'Create' and 'inspire' across the card using Weathered Wood DP and Frayed Burlap DP
 Then I stamped some images using the set and stamped them with Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo and Weathered Wood DI
These contrast wonderfully with the vivid Potting Soil Archival ink, which is what I used to stamp next. As you can see these all build up wonderful layers with the paint acting as a resist but the archival ink covering the paint....I never tire of doing this!.....
.....and good job too - because I had two more to do! Sorry, no pictures of those because I thought that would be a bit repetitive - I used the same technique, same set of stamps and inks but used different stencils to add some variety - the harlequin and damask stencil was used for the largest tin and for the smaller one I selected Swirly Q's.
So now the pots were completed but I felt they needed something else...so I added some crochet ribbon in ivory and my favourite coffee coloured strand of crochet lace.
Now I could have finished here, but I was having so much fun. At one point I had intended to attach the tins to mount board and cut around the base and cover the bottom of the containers with lace to hide any rough edges. As usual with my projects they usually evolve at some point and when I was trying to de-clutter my art cupboard before Christmas I found a wooden tray - I have had it for years and I think it originally had wooden die cuts in and I had been using it as a save box for little scraps. I suddenly thought this could be a drawer! I could have the pots attached to a drawer...
So I got out the balsa wood and got to making a box. 



While the box was drying I decorated the tray - which for some strange reason I had stained bright orange many years ago. I painted it with a couple of coats of Nougat Fresco paint.
 I wanted it to be decorated in some way and so got an ornate metal corner and cut two pieces off

and stuck them on to the edge of the tray with Glossy accents glue.
 When dry I painted a couple of coats of the Nougat Fresco paint...
 then I sanded them lightly to reveal hints of the metal underneath.
 A metal drawer pull was attached to the front of the drawer.
Now to decorate the inside of the drawer. I did the same stamp and ink layering that the containers were decorated with.

Then I began to decorate the outside of the box...I wanted to get the kind of built up layers of cracked peeling paint that so many vintage items have...I wanted it to look like another layer just got painted over cracks. So I began to layer crackle glaze and paints, sanding down when slightly damp to reveal the paint underneath.

When it was dry and I had achieved the effect I wanted I sanded the whole box lightly and dry brushed Chocolate Pudding Fresco paint around the edges.

Then began the 'putting it together'!
A reel of crochet lace was added - the wooden reel was already a gorgeous grey wood stained effect, I dry brushed it with some Snowflake fresco paint and then stamped the words 'Create' and 'inspire' with Picket Fence Distress paint very lightly. I didn't want it to be bright white, I wanted a barely there image.
Some glass vials were used to hold gold micro beads and some gold Frantage. A few wooden cotton reels were wrapped with embroidery cotton and a couple of pearl pins tucked into the threads.

A rusty heart, glitter heart and crochet flower from my craft stash were used to decorate the containers.
My button collection was hunted through to find lovely beige, brown and blue toned buttons and were placed into the smallest container.

and here it is - complete with some items from my craft equipment. A place for everything, and everything in it's place
 Thank you so much for being here to see my final creation for The Artistic Stamper. I hope you like it! I have had a wonderful month and have really enjoyed making these creations for you to see.
Happy Crafting
Laura xxx




Artistic Stamper stamps:
Artist's no.1
Katy Fox - A stitch in time
Dressmaking no1 
Journaling words II

Other items used:

Distress Inks - Weathered Wood, Frayed Burlap,Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain
Distress Paints - Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Weathered Wood. Picket Fence and Vintage Photo
Archival Inks - Potting Soil
Paperartsy Fresco paints - Nougat, Chocolate Pudding, Snowflake and Crackle glaze
Crafters Workshop templates - Art is, Harlequin and Flourish
Embellishments - Metal Decorative corners, Glass vials

20 comments:

Nikki said...

This is wonderful love all the details you've added I'm sure it looks wonderful in your space :)
hugs Nikki

massofhair said...

What a final project Laura, love your balsa wood drawer, awesome idea!

Every piece works perfectly together, so many small touches to help get this vintage look.

Am sure it looks amazing in your room:-) xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

A fabulous project Laura, so much detail, it looks amazing! Specially love the drawer too! A wonderful step by step and a fantastic make over!!

Helen said...

What a beautiful, detailed project, gorgeous!!

Deborah Wainwright said...

What a fab idea just knock up a draw I'm so impressed really love it xxx

Ink Art Designs said...

This is stunning! I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing your projects Laura..all so different, and all so beautiful.
Dot x

Sid said...

What a fantastic project, love your upcycling and especially your drawer construction.

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

A BIG Thank you to you , Laura for joining us this month ...loved all your projects
xx

Rita said...

Fabulous work Laura. Very Inspirational too. Hugs Rita xxx

Claudia N. said...

When will this product be produced serially so I can have one of these treasures on my crafting desk too?

Good god, this is soooo incredibly beautiful! One of the best creative projects I have seen in a while! LOVE IT!

Claudia x

rachel said...

wow this is absolutely amazing - I love it to bits - so perfect - and so useful xx

Juliz Design Post said...

Fabulous project which will be very useful.
Julie x

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Laura, well you going out with a bang, this is absolutely BRILLIANT, thanks for the fantastic tutorial, it sooooooo FABULOUS, I love it all, hope you have a wonderful weekend, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Marci said...

The whole project is beautiful!

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Words and Pictures said...

Really gorgeous upcycling, as well as brilliant balsa from scratch - fabulous finale!
Alison x

Julie Lee said...

Such a lovely project. So shabby chic and pretty, but practical too! I love your attention to detail - so many gorgeous little finishing touches to a wonderful project. Julie Ann xxx

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful, every detail is perfect.

Dominike said...

Superbe ! So beautiful.

Ginger said...

I love this. x