Thursday 18 July 2013

Be an Individual: By Zuzu


I am a bit unsure what to call this project. its just a thingy made of wood lol.
It is deeply inspired by Alison (Butterfly) Bomber and some tags she did in June and my friend Paula(who sent me some bits of wood to play with and makes lots of fabulous creations from blocks of wood).

I started by staining the bit of 'white-ish' pine coloured wood with some watered down brown paint to make it look like an old bit of teak or oak or something.
next I painted on some white studio gesso (the main bit of inspiration from Alison)...
when it had dried I stamped  one of Tim Holtz' "way with words" stamps on to the gesso using jet  black stazon.i then covered the front with a layer of clear rock candy crackle paint.


While it dried, I took a piece of white card and a "wet wipe" and used the wipe to dab on some distress ink. I used mostly 'Broken China'  and a touch of 'vintage photo'.  when it  had dried i stamped the little boy from the "childhood dreams" sheet on to it as well as the words IMAGINE (journalling words #1) and EXPLORE (journalling words 3) Journalling words can be found HERE.
Once the crackle paint had dried I painted some brown paint over it and then wiped it all off with a baby wipe. some of the paint stays behind in the crackle and highlights them.
The rest was all just cutting out and sticking on. I added the crackle glaze to my cut out card arrow and treated it the same as the main block, with paint and a baby wipe.
The cogs are from an old clock from an antique place in edinburgh. I have also used some ideaology findings... (the clock key on the left and one of the corners on the top). the little crown above the boys head is from HERE (scroll down a bit). and the "feet" are just two stained wooden spools from  some packs of assorted wooden spools from HERE.

Zuzu x

10 comments:

craftytrog said...

Fantastic piece Zuzu! Very inspiring! xxx

Paula Whittaker said...

A wonderful piece, love how you've put it together - glad the wood came in handy!

Rosie said...

Wowowowow, this is fantastic, love it

Astrid Maclean said...

What a fun make, great use of "a bit of wood"..

Words and Pictures said...

This is so lovely - the colours are wonderful, and the crackle effect over the stamp looks so brilliant. Lovely embellishing... a fabulous chunky wonder!
Alison x

Unknown said...

Always love to se the items made by Zuzu especially. To me she is such an inspiration. Love reading your page. Thank you so much for keeping me in the loop & up to date with craft things, even though I am so far away in AUS!

Zuzu's Blog said...

thank you everyone x

Sid said...

Liking your wooden thingy !!

Artyjen said...

Loving your wood thingy!! Very inventive and looks real cool;)
xoxo Sioux

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's really stunning.