Thursday 11 July 2013

Running Like Clockwork by Emma


Hello everyone!! Well, it looks as if summer has finally arrived in the UK and July seems to be disappearing quicker than any month so far this year and I can't believe it's already time for me to share my first post of the month...

...and here it is, my clockwork canvas and as always, there's lots of pics to show all the detail and I really hope you like my canvas!
To begin with I used a 5" square box canvas and I added PaperArtsy Grunge Paste around the edges to give a stippled, vintage effect to the piece. I covered the front and sides of the canvas using Distress Paints in Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Weathered Wood, Metallic Antiqued Bronze and a smidge of Black Soot, which I knocked back with some Picket Fence.
I then stamped the left and right hand sides of my box canvas with black Archival Ink, using the using the cogs border stamp from the Borders A6 #2 stamp plate and then added more Distress Paint to build up the colour. On the top edge of the canvas, I used the cog stamp from the Tick Tock A5 stamp plate.
Next, I stamped random areas on the front of the canvas using the Calligraphic Mat 11. Once this was done, I started to create a smaller canvas to mount onto the larger box one, so...I used some of Claudine Hellmuth's sticky back canvas and covered a small rectangle of chipboard. I then applied Distress Paint over the top of the canvas and added Walnut Stain Distress Ink around the edges, which I frayed slightly. I then stamped Phineas Pinchbeck onto the small canvas and it gave me a distressed faded look, that I loved. I added a rub on from Tim's Elements Remnants Rubs and popped a small screw brad into the corner.
The next part was to create the cogs using Tim's Gadget Gears die from Sizzix. I stuck sticky back aluminium onto chipboard and then ran it through the die cutting machine before applying Alcohol Inks over the surface to give a coppery metallic look to the cogs.

I adhered the cogs to my background using Matte Medium before then layering my Phineas Pinchbeck canvas over the top.

Next, I added some Idea-ology Mini Gears onto my canvas, clustering them together with my chipboard cogs and some Sprocket Gears, attaching Spinners into the centres.
I then added a Muse Token which I hung from a Ring Fastener.
 On the top of the box canvas, I used a Clock Key.
Finally, to complete my piece, I filled one of the Corked Vials with old watch parts and then added a Chit Chat sticker onto the bottle.
  
So, that's it from me for this today and I hope I've inspired you with what I've created, I can't wait to read all your comments. Don't forget that we have our "Ladies Day" challenge running at the moment and we would love you all to join in. For details of the challenge, just click HERE!

See you very soon and hope you all have a great day!
Bye for now...Emma x

17 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Love love LOVE this piece!!! Must get that stamp!!

Congratulations on such lovely work!

Jackie x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Fabulous!
Smiles:)
Sue

Helen said...

Emma this is beautiful - so much to look at!!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...steampunk awesomeness...:)xx

Julie said...

Emma this is amazing, you truly are so talented.
Julie
X

Paula Whittaker said...

A wonderful piece but then everything you turn your hand to is!

Artyjen said...

Wonderful....looks stunning ;) Can you make your time canvas slow down time a bit please? ROFL :)
xoxo Sioux

Anonymous said...

It's completely gorgeous, love it.

Ginger said...

Lovely piece Emma. X

Words and Pictures said...

Completely fabulous dimensional canvas - big WOW from me!
Alison x

Theresa said...

This is really adorable!!! So whimsical....

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Like it? No way...I LOVE it!!! The gears are grand with this image of the old guy! Love him and his quirky maniacal ways! Awesome canvas!

Ali H said...

Hi I love all the cogs and decorative elements but I have to admit I find that chap a bit spooky! He reminds me of the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Great canvas! Ali x

Sid said...

Fantastic dimensional creation !!

Rebecca said...

Ooo that's cool and very tactile
Happy craftin
Rebecca

Unknown said...

This piece if incredible. I love all your layers!! Just awesome!

Chris said...

A stunning piece Emma with a really gorgeous feel to it, love the layers and embellishing. Chris xx