Wednesday 10 July 2013

Inarticulate Desire

Hello all, Alison (butterfly) here with a canvas to share today.

I started this one months ago, and it's had who knows how many layers of paint, spray and then gesso over the top to start again!  The starting point remains a good one though, so I was unwilling to give up on it, and I think I may finally be there... see what you think.  (I'd like to say it shows better in the close-ups.)
So, that starting point was to take one of the newer Tim Holtz embossing folders, Script - the EF version of one of my favourite stamps; I was so thrilled when it was released! - and emboss some plain white cardstock with it.  I tore that and applied it to the canvas (A4-sized) in opposite corners, and then added some texture paste through the mini-Harlequin stencil.
So far, so good, and I won't trouble you with all the journeys in between (not least because I haven't got pictures of them).  Things started to go right when this fabulous woman from the Faces #2 plate coincided with my Virginia Woolf quotes.  I've had one happy collision with this combination already, my Anonymous Women tag, so I thought I might be onto something.
The colours are a combination of Dylusions sprays, Distress Inks, and acrylic paints.  There's spritzing, sponging, blending, dry-brushing.  Sorry I can't be more precise!
I know more about the stamping though... there's my favourite Calligraphic Mat #4, and some of the teeny tiny Mini Polka Dot background.
Some of the dots are in Olive Archival, and some were done with embossing ink and Wow Vanilla White powder.
The woman herself is stamped on Specialty Stamping Paper with Antique Linen and just a hint of Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs blended around the edges.
The quote is stamped onto some painted cardstock which I inked in different colours top and bottom.
Originally I stamped it in a teal colour, but it didn't really zing enough, so I used a fine black marker to hand-write over the top.  I quite like the result - handwritten, but not quite my handwriting!
I felt they needed to pop even a little more, so I mounted them on some cardboard packaging.  But now they seemed to be just sitting on the top, so I got out a charcoal pencil and a white pencil and added some more shading for a dimensional look - highlighting from the top left, and shading below and to the right.
And once I'd started with the white pencil, I used it to add some highlighting both to the stencilled harlequin texture and to the Paris text.
Around the edges of the canvas it was harder to get the gesso to cover up previous spritzings (and there had been some blood red ones, so they were a bit in the way).
I worked out that putting tissue tape around the edges meant that I could apply new layers of colour a bit more easily.  There were also places on the front of the canvas that needed a bit of the same kind of help.

Thanks so much for taking the time to follow part of this creation's history with me.  Come and join in with our Ladies Day challenge this month here at Artistic Stamper to be in with a chance at the prize draw.  For now, happy crafting, and I'll see you again soon.

Ingredients:
Artistic Stamper stamps: Faces #2, Calligraphic Mat #4, Mini Polka Dots
Tim Holtz Alterations embossing folder: Script
Crafter's Workshop stencil: Mini Harlequin
Idea-ology Tissue Tape: Symphony
Dylusions sprays: Calypso Teal, Cut Grass, Dirty Martini, White Linen
Distress Inks: Gathered Twigs, Walnut Stain, Broken China, Antique Linen, Vintage Photo
Texture Paste
Wow embossing powder: Vanilla White
Archival Ink: Olive, Jet Black
Specialty Stamping Paper

36 comments:

Yvonne Garner said...

Oh Alison! Where to begin? I just love the labor of love you put into this piece. Fascinating, the black over the teal sentiment. Love the embossing too! Fabulous colorations. Bravo!

barbarayaya62 said...

beautiful piece and great tutorial! Thanks for sharing! BArbarayaya

Helen said...

Well I think it looks just divine! the texture, the colour,the quote, all of it!

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous layered and textured creation.
Xox

Paula Whittaker said...

great texture on the canvas.

Unknown said...

It looks truly gorgeous Alison. So worth persevering with. Lovely!

Rita said...

Wow Alison, what a terrific canvas you have produced with this one. Glorious textures and colours and the stamp is just perfect too. Than you so much for a fabulous tutorial. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Cocofolies said...

Wow, absolutely stunning and awesome. Wonderful colours too and great text Alison !!! Coco x

Candy C said...

Gorgeous piece Alison! <3 Candy

Caroline said...

First off I love that you didn't give up!! The end result (& sure the journey was one of growth) is just sublime, truly. I would love to achieve such a piece! Adding embossed card to corners id a great idea too. TFS :))

craftytrog said...

Simply gorgeous Alison!!! xxx

Mary Elizabeth said...

I really love how you applied the textured cardstock to the canvas. I never would have thought of that as a way to add texture to a canvas. I *must* try that! Beautiful ... love the sentiment. -- Mary Elizabeth

Redanne said...

A beautiful canvas Alison and certainly worth all your perseverance. Great colours and wonderful embossing. Hugs, Anne x

Margie said...

I love all the layers Alison and the way the embossing shows up. The image is also gorgeous - so serene. Pleased you carried on and didn't give up - it was so worth the effort. Love, Margie x

Dianne said...

WOOHOO, did it turn out FABULOUS, I never doubted it would, shesh all those colors are fantastic, looove the layering, and texture, love how the words are sitting up brilliant idea , and the image is beautiful and looks totally different in the black ink, love the music note dancing around the frame, thanks for sharing your stunning artwork, have a wonderful day...

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Fabulous results! Gorgeous image with this sentiment...love her! The texture is SUBLIME!

Monique said...

Beautiful! I loooove your not handwritten, handwritten, quote! I think the words are just perfect and they stand out beautifuly like this!
xx

Dorthe said...

Fantastic texture, and colours, and love the HARLEQUIN paste stencil ...
the text is wonderful here, and looks great on the turquise canvas!!
xo,Dorthe

Kelly said...

I love the textures and colors with this canvas. I love how you build it up. Fabulous!!
Hugs Kelly

Anonymous said...

A thing of beauty.
Adore the texture, woman and quote.
Wishes
Lynne

Chris said...

Very beautiful Alison! I love how you made the background, the gorgeous layers of colour and stamping and the beautiful lady that you made he star of the show. Such a wonderful canvas. Chris xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oooh! All those lovely layers and such a beautiful woman! A really gorgeous canvas! Chrisx

May said...

Gorgeous work Alison, Love the colours & texture.. the image & quote is Perfect...Love it all... Hugs May x x x

Unknown said...

A fab canvas - wonderful textures and colours. Chris xxx

toni said...

A gorgeous canvas Alison, i like the way the embossed card 'sinks' in so well i thought you had discovered a stencil of the script ! X

Julie Lee said...

This is just so beautiful I can't begin to say how much I LOVE it and Virginia Woolf is one of my favourite writers. After all your work it is perfect: the colours, the little letter tiles and the beautiful image - oh yes and that background is just superb. Thank you so much for sharing. Julie Ann x

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning canvas Alison, wonderful textures!

Cinderella Moments said...

It's beautiful Alison! I love the side edges too. It's completely amazing!!
hugs♥,
Caroline

Iris said...

This is beautiful

Cathy L. Calamas said...

LOVE it! Super colors and that quote should be my life mantra!! The little detail of tissue tape around the edges is perfect.

Annie said...

Fantastic piece Alison and I love the EF, definitely on my wish list!! The stamp and sentiment are fabulous and I just love it x

Hugs Annie x

Elly said...

Just four words: Stunning!! (:o)

mark gould said...

Stunning Alison, I had no idea that text stamp had been turned into a folder, It is one of my fave stamps, I really need to get me that folder x. Beautiful colours too, I love the bright blues over all that texture x

froebelsternchen said...

a stunning piece dear Alison! AMAZING..

Jenny Marples said...

Stencil heaven here Alison. Love that background! Hugs, Jenny x

hazel said...

This is wonderful Alison - great texture and design.
xxx Hazel.